Friday, January 21, 2011

Day 1

Hi and welcome to my weight loss blog.  Thank you for stopping by!

I profess to be a person interested in my health.  I sign up for marathons and complete them.  I enjoy non-processed foods and know that building a diet comprised primarily of them is an ideal path to reaching my goals.  Just today one of my students said that she does not know anyone else who eats fruit and vegetables as often I do or anyone who wakes up at 5 a.m. to run 5 miles.  However, I am still obese, weighing in this morning at 215 pounds. 

There…I said it out loud.

There was only one time in my adult life when I was truly happy with my body and weight.  I had just spent a year in Ethiopia and was in the best shape of my life.  I was teaching college physics in the countryside, free of stress.  I ate organic, non-processed foods and exercised on a daily basis by running in the mornings before walking to work.  Dinner was lean meat, beans and vegetables, and dinner was fruit.  Without even trying, I lost 50 pounds in a year and a half and was very happy with the person staring back from the mirror.
Thirteen years have passed since that time and I have often yearned for my “Ethiopian body”.  I have taken countless “before” pictures, started innumerable diets and run hundreds of miles.  I have thrown out all of the “bad” foods and vowed to eat like I ate in that far off land when I felt my best.  There has been just one problem:  I have never been completely honest and consistent with myself and have allowed myself to make excuses year in and year out.

Well I am hopeful that this time will be different.  I am hopeful that this weight loss blog will keep me accountable.  I am hopeful that I can finally take those “after” picture.  Today the journey begins.

 `

4 comments:

  1. Go Shauna go! Love the video. I wonder what other measures of fitness you could track-- body fat percentage, resting heart rate, etc. I think you are probably MUCH fitter than most women of your age and weight, because of all of the exercise you do. Just a thought. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Ruthie. My sister did take my measurements and I am keeping track of my body fat percentage, BMI, clothing size, etc. I will post more of that information as the process continues. I really appreciate your support and suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always been so proud of your accomplishments. You are determined and are a conqueror! I know you will succeed and get your "Ethiopian Body" back. Stay focused! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so sweet, Ma! Thank you for supporting me. I really hope this time will be different. I will definitely stay focused.

    ReplyDelete